The client, a Japanese micro-mechatronics company was interested in identifying all the technologies associated with turbocharges / superchargers. The client wanted to understand what technologies were available globally and how they could strategically plan their research.
Problem & Context:
SciTech Patent Art Approach & Deliverables:
- SciTech Patent Art team considered the following approach:
- Search and retrieval of patents.
- Screening /Analysis of technology information from patents.
- Bucketizing all relevant patents into different technology groups and uploading them in to a web based portal.
- Providing critical drawings with labels for each of the relevant patents.
- SciTech Patent Art team found that there were more than 100,000 patents and for ~30% of the patents, no data was available in any of the subscribed databases.
- This was a big gap and could not be ignored.
- To address this problem, SciTech Patent Art team worked on the native language patents and translated all the non-English patents, especially Japanese and Chinese, into English using machine translation.
- This approach helped in retrieval of comprehensive information.
- The data was subsequently placed in the web portal and a dashboard was created for better representation of data.
The study was conducted in 12 weeks and costed $45,000