Controlling texture in plant-based meats is a major challenge – plant-based meats have a mushy/crumbly texture compared to meat protein. SciTech Patent Art (SPA) conducted a quick study to understand how leading companies are addressing this problem.
This report summarizes the different solutions provided by the 5 companies (Nestle, Nissin Foods, Beyond Meat, Impossible Foods and Unilever) and the following best possible solutions being considered to solve this problem:
- Gradual cooling of the heated dough
- Extruder with square parallel blades
- Extrusion with custom-made cooling die
- Composition with 44.64% meat-structured protein
- Vegetable patty containing 13.2 vol.% of oil droplets