|SPA Approach & Deliverables
- The project was assigned to a 2-member SPA team.
- A structured methodology was developed which began with building a database of approximately 6,000 patents on geothermal energy.
- The resulting patent records were analyzed, categorized, and mapped across the geothermal industry value chain comprising of exploration, drilling, completions, reservoir stimulation, and power plants.
- Analytics was conducted on this dataset to develop insights on the state-of-the-art of geothermal energy technology, the level and pace of innovation in geothermal industry value chain and opportunities for further development.
- Performed the portfolio analysis to assess the commercial and technical quality, benchmark the assignees, and understand the pace of innovation using the patent quality indicators (originality, generality, technology cycle time).
- Performed a cost analysis to understand the Levelized Cost of Electricity across the geothermal value chain.