|SPA Approach & Deliverables
- An organic chemist with vast patent search experience was assigned the job.
- The challenge was to conduct a comprehensive as well as precise search.
- SciTech, in consultation with the client, developed a very comprehensive search approach which includes the following:
- Search Registry file using CAS registry numbers of the compound and all known derivatives.
- Search Registry file using CAS registry number of the compound as component registry number (CRN) – to cover all unknown derivatives and polymers.
- Search for references related to a or b above in Chemical Abstracts.
- Search for unspecified derivatives of the compound in Chemical Abstracts by pairing CAS RN with D and DP.
- Search in Derwent World Patent Index (DWPI) using Derwent Chemical Resource Number (DCR).
- Expanding the compound name in DWPI and searching for all indexed derivatives.
- Combining the results from c, d, e and f.
- The above approach helped retrieve comprehensive as well as highly precise dataset.
- The resultant dataset was categorized as per the client’s requirement.