||A US-based technology company
|Problem & Context
||The client engaged SPA to conduct a due diligence of its patent portfolio in the area of Industrial Valves. The study was aimed at comparing the company’s patents with those of its competitors and possibility of commercialization in unrelated applications.
|SPA Approach & Deliverables
A 2-member SPA team was designated full-time to work on the project.
- SPA initiated the study by identifying all the components of the valve.
- The valve construction was intended to reduce emission of greenhouse gases.
- SPA conducted patent searches and created a patent portfolio around the said components of the valve.
- Based on the claimed subject matter, SPA assessed the strength of the valve-related patents.
- A few select patents were compared with those of other companies in the same space.
- Similarities / differences between the claims of client’s patents and competitors’ patents were assessed.
- SPA also determined if the client’s patent strategy was offensive or defensive.
- A detailed SWOT analysis on the sealing technology of the valve was conducted.
- The areas of opportunities for the company in adjacent industries were highlighted.
- FTO study was conducted to identify possible blocking patents and rule out potential threats, if any.
- The SPA team collaborated very closely with the client, and answered several questions on technology and its possible commercialization.
||4 – 5 weeks
- A 2 member team from the Mechanical / Electronics domain